So you think a drive belt should last 10,000km...............

So 10,000km has rolled around since the GTS300 moved to our place with receipts for a service and belt change.....

Thought I should replace the belt, this is what I saw when I opened up the case....

mmmm wonder how much longer that would have lasted?

PaulS

Views: 107

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

oops

There goes my theory about running them up to 15

Well, perhaps the receipt for belt replacement was a lie and this is 22,000km of use?

Several possibilities Paul. 

The first two that come to my mind would be whether the belt is a genuine Piaggio O.E.M. one or is there another mechanical problem causing the wear.

No writting left on the belt so it could be aftermarket or OEM?

The Variator etc all seemed fine - no groves or wear marks, rollers all worn but round etc.

New belt is Piaggio from GPS Imports - I will give it a few thousand km and have a look......

Gosh Paul, that's a funny looking belt. Here are some pictures of a used one off a GTS250 which got serviced last week. It has done 20,000 kms and still looks okay. I wonder if it depends on how you ride it? Frank at Vespa House says he is now changing belts by the book, i.e. every 10,000 kms. How lucky you caught your belt in time, David

Thanks for the pictures David - that is what I was expecting to see rather than the eaten version in mine, and yes Julie I am suspicious that the belt is the original and was not replaced as per the workshop docket supplied with the scooter when I bought it.....(should have checked I suppose).

Oh well I have fitted a nice new belt, rollers, sliders, oil filter, spark plug and oil so have a happy Vespa. :)

Paul

Thanks for the pictures David - that is what I was expecting to see rather than the eaten version in mine, and yes Julie I am suspicious that the belt is the original and was not replaced as per the workshop docket supplied with the scooter when I bought it.....(should have checked I suppose).

Oh well I have fitted a nice new belt, rollers, sliders, oil filter, spark plug and oil so have a happy Vespa. :)

Paul

By the looks of your belt Paul, you were very very lucky, it could be the original belt or a very dodgy one.

RSS

Visit our supporters

Latest FB

© 2018   Vespa Club of Melbourne Incorporated in Victoria A005069N   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service