I got another call from Roberto (Vespa Wizard) re: a '1973 Vespa (auto lube) Super' that a customer of his brought in for extensive mechanical refurbishment. Apart from the mechanical work, the body has also had a checkered past, with corrosion evident, numerous non factory drilled holes and a range of dings 'n' dents.
After viewing it, I agreed to carry out the various bodywork repairs. Alessio the owner doesn't want any filler (bog) used and that's fine by me, as I'll be using traditional methods of 'leading' to repair surface corrosion, primarily on the footboards of the scooter.
Here are some pix illustrating the current state of the body illustrating where the repairs are needed.
Note: The scooter has been sand blasted. Be very cautious if you choose this option on fragile/precious scooter bodies/panels, as it can easily deform them.
Good on you for taking on the job. Can't wait to see the progress shots.
Another scooter Allessio?
I always shudder when people drill holes in their scooters.
Day 2 (10.10.17)
The repairs on the scooter body today included: welding closed various extraneous holes, punctures and tears in the metal panel work. Straigtening the sides (and some welding on the rear section) of the scooter so that the rear covers fit correctly. A bit of tedious metal finishing removing small dents/dings on the front RHS wind/splash shield and cutting out, straightening and then rewelding a dented panel section at the rear seat corner. This area had a some time, received a heavy impact blow. As it's a corner section an quite complex the easiest method repair was to cut the piece out and reshape on the bench. There was also a reinforcement panel behind it that had sustained damage.
Of course it could have been filled with a 2 cm thick layer of plastic filler (bog), but I tend to think Alessio is not keen to go down that path. I agree!
looks great, just don't know what colour to do it???
I haven't seen one in pink yet Alessio...could be an opportunity to make a bold statement!
PS. I think (unless there's something unforeseen) it should all be done well within a fortnight.
I'm about to go out and do the repairs on the LHS rear cover...remake the perforated rear corner piece. A couple of drainage holes might be a good idea as water obviously sits inside causing corrosion internally. Condensation would do it over a period of time.
haha i think about it, the gf would be happy with that colour.
The scooter is stored indoors but yes it is a good idea for drainage holes
Scooter Repairs. Day 3. 1108.17
I spent a good portion of the day repairing the LHS rear cover. The work focused on remaking, then fitting the corroded rear section of the cover (from flat panel steel), ensuring the outer cover profile fitted the side of the body snugly and refitting one of the rear securing mounts, which I cut free of the old rotted panel section.
Here are the pix.
Alessio's Scooter Repairs. Day 4. 12.10.17
With virtually all of the metal work repairs completed, the focus for today is leading over the finished welds and other imperfections on the body and rear covers that require it. Once the leading is done the areas attended to are linished back to the correct panel profiles.
Day. 5 14.10.17
Finished the remaining work on the scooter body today. The work focused primarily on cleaning/preparing the panel surfaces for etch primer. This product provides a good key for the following coats of primer, primer surfacer and/or a skim of filler, if required. It also protects the metal body from surface rust (moisture in the air) whilst the final body prep is taking place.
After the scooter surfaces were thoroughly cleaned, the etch primer was applied with a spray gun. As it was a nice warm day the conditions were ideal. Once all the panels were coated, I poured the contents of a small container of POR15 into the tunnel area of the scooter and rocked it to and forth. This can be messy. Also need to be very careful with this product, as if it gets on your skin it becomes a permanent coating until it literally wears off! The product literally oozes into and out of seams as can be seen in one of the photos below.
All up, the work repairing the scooter body and also correcting the poor fitting rear covers took just under 19 hrs and just over a couple of hundred dollars in consumables.